live bird feeder

Watch live streaming video from cornellfeeders at livestream.com

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

cardinal incubating her eggs

The cardinal laid her eggs on May 14th. There appears to be three of them in her nest. She has been quietly incubating them since. This morning she went to get some food so I decided to get a shot of the eggs to see how many there were. We have purposely tried to stay away from the hibiscus tree even though it is in our walking path being on the pools deck edge. We wanted her to have a pleasant experience here. She was gone about 10 minutes so I had plenty of time to get in and out, even though I had no idea how long she would be gone. I didn't spend much time because I did not want to get caught and scare her or me. When I did this last year with the mockers it was a big toodoo. They always catch you and are mean as hornets! So, I could hardly see what I was doing or even focus because I was on my tip toes, using one hand to move away some leaves, holding the camera above my head and pointing down. Surprised I even got anything and the quality is not too shabby. That one leaf is right in the way but there was no way I could move it and ma cardinal sits right under it. It is a perfect little extra protection sun/rain/prey umbrella for her so I am glad I took no chance in ruining that. The cardinals are nothing like the Mocking birds who are bold and loud through out the process constantly defending nothing, nowhere near the nest and they squawk and dive bomb ya. The cardinals are quiet and secretive. You would never know she is even in there and often times I wondered, but she is. She doesn't fly out unless something fiercely scares her. If we walk by or near she sits quietly still. The eggs are a white with grey brown specks and a pale green tint to them. The incubation period is 11-13 days so we are almost there. Dad cardinal plays no role in the incubating. I hear him and see him at the feeder with her, or with the baby from their previous brood. He is around but stays away from the nest.

Here are the eggs of the cardinal and below that are the eggs from the mocking bird from last spring to show comparison. The cardinal nest is deeper for sure.


Mocking Bird Eggs and Nest from last year for comparison - They had 4 babies but this only shows 3 eggs. I may have taken it before she laid the 4th or it is hidden.