live bird feeder

Watch live streaming video from cornellfeeders at livestream.com

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Spicebush Swallowtail

When a butterfly passes through the garden you have to move quick. They don't stay long and I think it is for fear of getting eaten by a mockingbird or lizard. We have so many lizards this year it is crazy. They are huge and they are hungry. Sometimes I find just the wings and no body lying in the yard and it makes me so mad. This guy was being stalked very closely, a enormous lizard was sitting on the pot rim just waiting for the perfect opportunity. Luckily this butterfly was rather big and did not sit still. It stayed long enough for me to get 3 shots of the upper side of the wings. I didn't see the body or the underside of the wings but I think it is a spicebush swallowtail.