live bird feeder

Watch live streaming video from cornellfeeders at livestream.com

Friday, September 19, 2014

Harlequin flower beetle - Gymnetis caseyi

This little guy (not as big as a quarter but bigger than a nickel) had been hanging out in my flower bed for a couple of days. I have never seen one before so I uploaded a pic to the bug experts. He is yellow and black with a pretty pattern on his back...almost damask like. He has claws like a crab and his eyes have personality. The little antenna's retract out and in too. They look like martian antenna's to me. I don't think they are native to Florida. Sadly I found him dead on the pavers a couple days later. He was intact but laying on his back. I don't know what could have happened. Maybe he flipped over and couldn't roll over. Not sure. Made me sad though. Goodbye little bug, hope you enjoyed your last few days in our backyard.