live bird feeder

Watch live streaming video from cornellfeeders at livestream.com

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

More nests located - A mission to save active nests!

Still unknown the status of the tree trimmers. I have located 3 more nests this morning, one with a female cardinal sitting in it most likely on eggs (she did not move and I heard no nestlings), plus, photographed a sign hung by a neighbor asking the trimmers not to disturb, birds nesting!

The nest with female cardinal sitting is street side and hanging directly in the path of a trim. It is extremely well hidden. I have the trunk tagged. My tags had to to switch color. I ran out of orange construction paper. They are now green with red lettering. There are now 18 nests tagged around the subdivision. I am not an expert nest finder, I haven't been to every tree in the neighborhood, and chances are, I more than likely missed many even with the trees I looked at! They are very challenging to find. I find in my travels the cardinals, mockingbirds, and mourning doves are very active. I hear them, and I see them in all parts of the subdivision.

I pray County either postpones this elective trim and waits to do it when nesting season is over, or, they hire a contractor who has demonstrated their commitment to wildlife safety and offers the highest quality arborist services.
Sign hung by neighbor

nest 1

nest 2 


Next 3 are the same nest with female cardinal. Click to enlarge images.

First pic, you can see her beak and top of head. 
,
Her nest was the most disguised yet. Good job little mama! Now I hope we can keep the trimmers away so you can  have your babies in peace!



--- note green tags now, ran out of orange. ---