live bird feeder

Watch live streaming video from cornellfeeders at livestream.com

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Update County Tree Trimming Elevation in our Subdivision

Update on the tree trimming in our subdivision. I sure wish this situation would resolve so we can move on and enjoy the migratory bird nesting and breeding season. This is really a downer. I am still hoping the County will postpone this elective tree elevation till after Migratory Bird Nesting and Breeding season ends.

- The tree trimming/elevation scheduled for 4/21/ 2014 has not started.

- The 10 or so orange ties I found in the front 3 streets of the neighborhood, plus a couple on Darchance, Londale, and one on Colbury were from the County.

Per email communication, from the NE Assistant Regional Species Conservation Biologist of the FL Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the ties represent the following.

Orange County, MT, Orange County Public Works Department shared this -
“Trees that were on our trimming list but that will not be disturbed because active nests were observed on these.” And that:  “The trees we flagged were only from the ones we had on our list to trim. We did not tag all the trees if we were not going to trim them.”

- From this, I now understand, the community wide trimming may have changed to just a select list of trees?

- FWC viewed pics of nests in the County marked trees with ties, and thought they represented squirrel nests, not migratory bird nests. This excludes the 2 on Darchance, 1 on Londale, and 1 on Colbury as I didn't get pics or view those to date. I understand, County was made aware of this.

- To date, I tagged 15 trees with migratory bird nests. I also offered my assistance in showing them where these nests were. I understand and have been notified, the County has been made aware of my tags, and sent a pic of what they look like by FWC. FWC has notified me they have done everything they can as far as making County aware of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

- A problem that is going to arise with each day that passes if the County continues to pursue this elective tree trim but keeps postponing, is that the birds are very active and new nests are being built that have not been identified. But, I can handle the work because it is all for the cause of protecting the migratory bird nests.

a sample of what my tags look like